Reflections

While I’ve written a lot this year, it’s been awhile since I’ve shared any personal reflections or updates. As I am finishing up my school year, I guess now is as good a time as any.

This year has been filled with unexpected experiences. It’s hard for me to believe that I stayed in Nebraska and actually mostly enjoyed it. 

The classes I took this year have, for the most part, been enjoyable, and I actually feel like I have learned and grown quite a bit. I think my favorite class was the social justice and social change class I took last fall. Somehow, even over zoom, I made friends and truly learned a lot. 

Don’t get me wrong, this year has been challenging. Almost all of my classes have been online or on zoom. It’s hard to meet people and make friends in that environment. Living in Fremont and having to drive into Omaha is also a hassle. On top of personal struggles, this year has been incredibly difficult for many people. Between coronavirus deaths and complications and the seemingly endless news of Black death, I know I have a lot to be grateful for and a lot of work to do.

One of the biggest highlights of my year has been the opportunities I’ve had to write. I have gotten the opportunity to talk to many wonderful, inspiring, and captivating people this year and get to share parts of their stories. I started this year with no journalism experience whatsoever and have now published something like 60 articles. I’m thankful for the friend that pushed me to go for it with journalism, and for the friend and editor that connected me to the Gateway. 

There are many stories I feel so humbled to have written, but the friendship I have formed with Earnest Jackson has probably been the biggest blessing the Gateway has brought me. As the legislation is in limbo and the pardons board seems to just refuse to meet, it gets frustrating. However, in every letter he writes me, Earnest says something positive. He’s made me re-evaluate my mindset. 

Writing has been an absolute blessing amidst this unexpected year. Even being harassed over a story was a learning experience and showed me the support I had at the Gateway and beyond. Will I ever get a full-time writing job? Honestly, who knows. But I am enjoying the opportunities I have while they last. 

(I’ve chosen some of the articles I most enjoyed writing this year and put them here, if you’re interested: https://articleselections.carrd.co/.) 

As I have finished my finals, I am now in a bit of a time of transition. And if you know me well, you know I both thrive in and hate these points in my life. 

The next few days, I’m focusing on the Omaha General Election for City Council, canvassing for Cammy Watkins and Naomi Hattaway. 

The Gateway doesn’t publish over the summer, so right now I’m writing through Rabble Media. I’m excited that I can still find a way to write over the summer. 

I plan on continuing my job through the Collaborative office on UNO’s campus this summer. (If you are going to UNO next year, I highly recommend having Jeffrey as your boss!) I’m also hoping to get hired on to work with my friend Braeden so *fingers crossed* on that.  

Soon, I plan to move into an apartment in Omaha. While I am excited to not have to drive so much, I am anxious about moving and actually finding a good place. 

I’m also finding myself being anxious about “post-pandemic” life. Since I had been sick the full year before the pandemic as well, I don’t quite know how to function in social situations anymore, so I’m a bit nervous about that. If any super extroverted people want to take me under their wing for a few weeks, hit me up. 

But after taking 17 credit hours this semester, I am excited to not be taking classes this summer. I plan on reading the stack of books I’ve wanted to read but couldn’t in the last four months because I had to read a geography textbook instead. 

I finally just have one semester left of my undergraduate degree. I’m not sure what the future brings after that, but I like being able to be open to whatever may happen.

This summer will likely bring changes to my life, but honestly, I’m really hoping to focus on joy this summer. The past couple of years have been difficult for me, and I have mostly pushed aside my feelings about that. So on top of everything else this summer, I’m planning on getting in touch with my feelings again and finding ways to enjoy this time without homework before I finish my degree this fall.  

Well, if you made it this far, thanks for checkin' in on the life of Han. 


PS thanks to Rabble for finally getting me a headshot: 




Comments