It's May!

Finally.  It's finally at that point in the year that the sun is out more days than not.  It's finally warm enough that I can bike to work and lounge in the hammock some afternoons.  (Taking mostly online classes in the spring does have its perks.) 

The past about 6 weeks have completely flown by, but overall, they have been incredible.  

About 6 weeks ago, I woke up in Cleveland and for the first time in my life, was actually excited to get on a plane to go back to Nebraska.  The excitement that I felt that morning was just like a sneak peak into how exciting these past 6 weeks have been.  I met the youth group students that night, and have luckily been able to be their youth pastor since then.  It's only been 6 weeks, but the youth have grown - not just in numbers (which is surprising in the spring!)  - but they have also began to dive deeper into their faith and ask tougher and tougher questions.  As they've been grappling with what it means to live as a Christian every day and how that can and should change your life, I've learned more and more about them and their relationships with God.  

Through working with these students, I have also had the opportunity to be involved in meetings with different staff members of the church and learn about some of the different committees that meet and help our church run smoothly, and allow our congregation to support each other in such an awesome way.  Not only have I been learning from the kids, I've been learning from the many different adults that work to support our church.  

As I'm looking back on the past six weeks, I'm so encouraged.  Many of you know I struggle with fear.  Even though I was excited that morning to come back to Nebraska and begin, I was so nervous and afraid.  After the first two weeks however, I have no longer been afraid.  I've not worried or panicked like I am so used to doing.  I just knew I was doing exactly what God has put me here to do at this time.  And as I look forward to the summer, which for youth group starts this Wednesday, I'm more than excited to see where God takes us. We have lots of things planned, and I'm excited to see how we grow (in numbers and in depth)!  [If you want to join us for the Summer Kickoff, I'll add the picture of the invitation at the bottom!]

Within the past six weeks, I've also been officially accepted to Midland University for the fall, where I will be studying Youth and Family Ministry (along with my CJ minor).  I'm excited to take these classes and continue to learn about our God.  

I only have 15 days left of classes for this spring, and I cannot wait to be done with taking so many classes at once for awhile.  This summer, I am just taking one last class online, so I am excited to have a bit of a break in that regard.  I'm also looking forward to seeing my wonderful cousins and family in Ohio this June, and celebrate my grandma's 96th birthday with her! (And ride coasters at CP!) 

The MOST exciting thing that's happened however, just happened this weekend. I got the chance to take a preaching class under one of my pastors on Saturday.  I also got to write a short sermon for it to be critiqued.  And for the first time, I gave a sermon.  It wasn't perfect by any means, and it's quite a responsibility, but I know God is calling me to go to seminary.  (I finally know what I'm going to do when I "grow up" y'all!) I'm not sure if I'll end up being a pastor, or if I'll end up doing the prison ministry side of things, or one of the multiple other things you can do with a seminary education, but that's where God is sending me next.  This summer, I also get to go to a preaching festival! 

Most of my life, I've been asking God, "Why here?"  As many of you know, I moved here with my mom, sister, and father many years ago.  We had moved around a lot, and after my dad died, we just kinda stayed here. I tried to move away for college but ended up right back here.  The people here are generally supportive, encouraging, and wonderful, but the weather here is just not my jam (I'm talking about you, Nebraska winters and wind).  Sometimes I felt like God just kinda left me here, and I knew someday I'd get a reason.  I finally have it.  Being here right now, I'm where I'm supposed to be.  If I wouldn't have gotten this job being a youth pastor and if I wouldn't be learning from the people I'm learning from right now, like Bill and Melissa, I'm really not sure I would have ever trusted that ministry is what I'm supposed to be doing.  But the church I am in right now is helping me to understand where God is calling me.  So for the first time, I understand why God has stuck me here in the cold, hours from the beach, hours from my homeland (Ohio), and hours from my extended family.  He didn't forget about me, He just had me wait awhile.  And now, I'm exactly where I need to be - and I didn't move at all!  

On Saturday, I put a key phrase into my sermon that I need to keep reminding myself, and maybe you need this little reminder too:  Don't stay safe - have faith. 


Thanks for reading!


Here is the Summer Kickoff invitation if you are interested, and of course, do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions! See you there - I'll be cheating on my diet! :-) [Please note that the address is actually 815 N Broad St, I can't get the correct picture to upload.]




Comments