Palm Sunday (What I've Learned About Holy Week, 2018)

This spring, my church has been doing a sermon series on the last 192 hours (week) of Jesus's life.  I've really enjoyed this series and its Bible study, and I've learned from it.  I'm going to try to write about each day during this Holy week to share what I have learned!  (I am hoping to translate my scratchy writing in the margins of my Bible so I hope this makes sense.)

Palm Sunday: 

I previously wrote about this a little bit in my blog from a few weeks ago.

from Mark 11:1-11

During Palm Sunday, many of us know that this is when Jesus came into Jerusalem for the Passover.  Passover is the Jewish festival that celebrates and symbolizes freedom.  

At this time in history, the Israelites were under the rule of the Roman Empire.  The Romans were strong and powerful, and asserted their power.  The Israelites had to pay their taxes, which basically was paying for their oppression.  The Romans focused on enforcing their power and "peace" by violence and with weapons.  During the time when Jesus was entering Jerusalem from the southeast, there was a Roman parade coming in from the northwest.  (This isn't in the scripture, but it is a part of history.) This parade had slaves, riches, and weapons.  It had power, an army, and leaders triumphing in with bright robes on brilliant stallions.  Caesar was flashing his power with this parade.  Though these people were gathering for the Passover to celebrate their "freedom," they wanted to remind them that they were not actually free.  

But from the southeast?  Jesus entered on a donkey, which symbolized peace.  In this way, it's almost laughable.  While Caesar was flexing his power, Jesus came in peacefully.  He was at the height of His popularity.  The people that would shout "Crucify Him" just later that week, shouted "Hosanna, Blessings on the one who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessings on the coming Kingdom of our ancestor David!"  "Jesus is our KING."  (Right under Caesar's nose!) 

At this time, the saying was "Caesar is Lord."  The oppressed people were looking for a conquering King to come and save them from the Roman Empire.  They were looking for this 'war to end all wars' and Jesus preached Peace and road into Jerusalem on a donkey.  On a stubborn donkey!  The people in His parade were not forced to come along or power-hungry.  They were following from their invitation.  It was not what they expected, wanted, or were waiting for.  It was, and IS, what we needed.

What are the kingdoms in our lives?  There is access to the Kingdom here and now that leads to abundant life.  Do our kingdoms - our shame, anxiety, addictions, traps of poverty or circumstances, sports, or even our families or kids - get in the way of our daily access to the Kingdom of God?

Happy Holy Week, everyone.  I'm hoping to write each day so I can share what I've learned in this study!  

Comments