Something I've Learned This Week

Just over a week ago there was another tragic school shooting, this time in Parkland, Florida.  Let's be clear.  School shootings have been a problem for basically my entire lifetime.  The Columbine shooting was in 1999, and I was born in late 1997.  So for as long as I can remember, this has been a problem. 

I am not writing this to start online debates, because those do not solve anything, but just to share what I have learned over the past week or so. Something I am happy with however, is that this shooting doesn't seem to be passing news.  It is holding on in the media, and for that, I am proud of Americans.  

This week in Bible study, we discussed Palm Sunday.  (We are doing a Lenten study on the last 192 hours of Jesus's life - the passage we studied was Mark 11: 1-10.) 

I'd like to point out that they story I am about to explain is part of history - there was a man named Jesus that claimed to be the Son of God that entered Jerusalem for the Passover. It's whether or not you believe Him and whether or not you believe He was resurrected that is what's up for 'debate.'  

You see, Palm Sunday has some historical references that I didn't know until this week.  They aren't included in the scripture passages.  People who read the Bible probably remember that Jesus entered Jerusalem on Palm Sunday for the Passover.  Jesus was a Jew, and Passover is a Jewish holiday.  For those wanting to know what the celebration of Passover is about, it is from the Old Testament, but here's a quick look at it: 
http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Holidays/Spring_Holidays/Pesach/Introduction/introduction.html  -  Basically, the holiday celebrates freedom, even though at this point, the Israelites were under the Roman rule.  

What even people who read the Bible might not know is this:

While Jesus was coming into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday from the southeast, the Romans were entering Jerusalem from the northwest.  The Romans were coming in on stallions, with armor and weapons.  They were in power. These Romans enforced peace in their lands through violence and weapons. The people following were made to follow.  From the northeast came the violent, powerful leaders with their weapons and their oppression on stallions and in brilliant robes. 

Then, from the southeast came Jesus, riding on a little stubborn donkey.  He didn't have any weapons.  His followers were invited, not forced, to follow Him.  With Him, he didn't bring any forced power.  This was almost laughable; He appeared weak and foolish.  The people around Jesus said "Hosanna (praise), Jesus is our KING," while in the Roman kingdom.  

Jesus brought peace.  He didn't force it.  He didn't bring weapons and armor and stallions.  He sat on his donkey and he came peacefully.  

Jesus didn't come for us to fight with weapons or to use weapons to protect ourselves. In John 18, Peter even tries to stand up for and protect Jesus, and Jesus tells him to put his sword away.  Jesus didn't come for us to fight in the ways we expect.  He came to bring peace and fight in a new way, through this peace. 

What I really do not understand about politics are the two parties (for many reasons).  Growing up, I was always told by many people that the Republican party was for Christians.  Christians weren't Democrats.  But the older I get, the less I see that.  Many of the people that love guns and always preach the 2nd amendment are "Christians," but Jesus taught us not to fight by a sword (or in this case, a gun). I realize times and technology have changed, but I'm not really sure the message has. 

I by no means am saying it is this simple.  I've highly considered getting my conceal and carry permit when I turn 21, but after this Bible study, I'm not so sure.  Look, I get it.  The world is a bit scary, and having a weapon can make you feel safer, and more equipped to protect those around you.  

But - I'll say it, don't freak out - gun control is important.  First, look into statistics on suicide rates with firearms. I've lost a loved one to a suicide by a gun, and if she just wouldn't have had the gun - there would be a much higher chance of her still being around today. Look, I get that some people love their guns.  I am not proposing they get taken away.  I just wish that it was as hard or harder to get a gun as it is to get a car.  If guns are so much for "protection" in this country - let's focus on protection.  It's a matter of safety, after all. 

But for so many of you who talk about guns and Jesus together.... please make sure you are basing what you say on what Jesus preached on, said, and did.  Let's keep on learning and growing. :-) 

Comments