hope

Hope.

(The story behind my latest tattoo.)

I have dealt with depression and suicidal thoughts throughout most of my life.  Though I have worked through most of my suicidal thoughts, there were three times last year that were really bad, as I have previously written about.  There was a book that really helped me move past these thoughts, and it is called "Hope: A Memoir of Survival in Cleveland."  The font of my tattoo is from the cover of this book.  The way these girls were able to continue to be hopeful and keep faith in God throughout what can be described only as hell helped me to realize that I can get through anything in my life with hope in God.  

Recently, I have come to realize that though I have moved through most of my problems with depression and being suicidal, (they may come back eventually), but I will have to live with my anxiety my whole life.  It might not always be a day-to-day issue, but it is something I will always have to live with.  This doesn't mean I need to quit hoping and become cynical.  Hope is also a word that comes up in almost all of my criminal justice and counseling classes.  

The word hope is important in so many ways.   It brings my faith into every aspect of my life.  

This tattoo is right on my wrist to be a constant reminder to me that no matter what happens, where I am, or what is happening, to hold onto hope.  My hope in God, Jesus, myself, the people around me, and in the world.  My hope for another day.  This is why it is visible and on my wrist. 




This is my fourth tattoo.  #1 was the semicolon tattoo on my ribs that I got with my mom.  #2 was my cross tattoo on my ring finger (that I got touched up today)!  #3 was the puzzle piece on my ankle that fits together with my best friend Madison's puzzle piece.  And today was #4.  I'll soon be getting #5, my uncle's handwriting of "Bless Your Heart" that has a lot of family meaning to me, on my rib with my semicolon.

For my sixth tattoo I am hoping to get more of an artistic piece on my ribs that will include my semicolon that is already there.  I am going to wait awhile for this though.  I want my current two business-visible tattoos to be the only visible ones, at least until I figure out my career. 

Comments