Criminal Justice Regionals

Hey everyone!  I just wanted to update you all on how my conference went.

This past weekend, I got the chance to compete with my Criminal Justice Fraternity, Mu Gamma Gamma, at the regional conference for the midwest region in Garden City, Kansas.  We had competitors in each of the four academic written tests, CSI, Physical Agility, and the Firearms competitions.  Personally, I took the four academic tests, CSI, and Physical Agility.  (CSI, Firearms, and Physical Agility were basically just done for the experience in our group, however.)

Mu Gamma Gamma (Metro out of Elkhorn) took 6 competitors; 5 in the Lower division: Myself, Brandi Vaughn, Walker Matthews, Grant Hudak, and Hannah Sheppard; and 1 in the professional division, our wonderful professor, Diane Sjuts!

Out of the 4 tests, Criminal Law was the only test we had nobody place in. (Sadly, it was the one I felt I did the best at... oops!)


RESULTS:
Tests:
Police Administration:
1st: Me
2nd: Brandi
3rd: Walker
Professional - 1st: Diane

Juvenile Justice:
2nd: Me
Professional - 2nd: Diane

Corrections:
1st: Me

Physical Agility:
Female 26-35: 1st: Brandi
Female 36&Up: 2nd: Diane

CSI:
Professional Division: Diane, Brandi, and Grant

As a team, Mu Gamma Gamma won Top Percentage, meaning on the academic tests, we had the highest percentages as a team.

I also won Individual High Academic, meaning I got the highest score of all 4 tests combined out of every one of the 125 students and 8 professors that took the tests.  (Serious nerd alert.)

[For my family members that may just want to know my personal awards: I got 3 trophies: 1st in Corrections, 2nd in Juvenile Justice, and 1st in Police Administration.  I also got the Highest Academic plaque.]



Anyway, for those of you who have been asking me what exactly this was going to be like, I know I didn't really have any answers for you last week.  Honestly I didn't really know what I had gotten myself into.  Now, I can answer your questions!

On Thursday, we drove down to Garden City.  What was meant to be about an 8 hour drive lasted 12 hours.  However, we did make stops at Park City, Kansas, where the BTK killer had lived.  We found the lot where his house used to be.  We also went out and talked to BTK (Dennis Rader)'s old neighbor, who said he was "the nicest guy you'd ever meet" and also said they used to just sit and drink beer together.  Kinda wild, right?  I was reminded once again that I am in the correct major program.  My family never would have stopped at something like that, but it is SO interesting to me!

We made a few other stops on the way there.  We checked into our hotel that night and found the BIGGEST and NICEST hotel room I have ever been in.  I immediately FaceTimed my family to show them.  I had my own personal room in my shared room, and we had like, a kitchen and everything.   Pretty spiffy, but sadly, the pool was closed.  Huge thanks to Marriott for the nicest midwest hotel stay I've ever had.  (And for keeping the cow smell out!)

Anyhow, as far as the competition goes - Friday morning we had CSI.  We weren't prepared for this super well, but we had fun with it!  My group did find the key pieces of evidence (the gun, casing, and Protection Order report), and knew the victim and suspect's names; however, we did not follow any format of procedure.  The scene was pretty darn impressive though, with the "dead" girl laying there for the entire time!

We also took 2 of our 4 tests that afternoon.  That night, we had to sit through the physical agility and firearms prep meetings, but afterwards, they fed us some goooood pulled pork.  We also got to do an escape room for free on Friday night!  Our group escaped!  That was a lot of fun but a bit difficult.

Though not officially part of the conference, it was also Walker's birthday on Friday, and we tried our best to celebrate him turning 20 on a day that we had lots of tests and studying to do.

Saturday morning, Walker did the Firearms competition, so the rest of us got to watch!  It was interesting to watch, but smelled horrible on the range.  Diane took pictures of Walker like she was a proud mother, and it was a pretty fun, smelly morning.

Then, we did the Physical Agility competition which was an obstacle course put out by the Kansas State Patrol (I think that is the correct agency... but some agency put it together for sure).  With my separated shoulder, I just ran the course and took lots of penalties.  Diane just walked the course, since there were only 2 in her age category.  Walker was only 3 seconds off of placing, and Grant has been throwing up ever since he ran the course (like seriously it's Tuesday night and he said he's still sick).  That afternoon we went back for our final 2 tests.

On Saturday night, we had the Banquet, where we all dressed in varying degrees of "dressed up" and had the opportunity to meet with Joe Schillaci, a formed Miami PD detective who has made appearances on the TV shows The First 48 and Dead Again.  He was an incredible speaker.  We also had good fajitas and other Mexican food!

Sunday morning, we got breakfast and our awards!  I didn't think I had done very well, but I am so proud of our results, and I'm most happy with the fact that we didn't let Diane down.  Sadly, Grant was sick the entire way home, and our drive back was somehow only 7 hours long.

I am so proud of Mu Gamma Gamma's accomplishments this weekend!  The group was fun to travel with, and the two guys I didn't really know before the trip became my friends.  I am so grateful for how much Diane has taught me in the past year.  Truly, all of my accomplishments at this conference all can be credited to her.  She's taught me all of the CJ things I know so far.  I'm so happy and thankful she chose me to go to this conference with her!

Thanks for reading, folks!  Hopefully I have filled you in on all of those questions you asked me the last few weeks that I have had no answers for!

Comments