The Tinder Dare

So I have this friend, Madisen.  (Shout out to you girl, love ya!)  We both tend to say the phrase, "I'm going to die alone," around 300 times a week. This is, I guess, what led us to dare each other to get Tinder.  

Before thoughts:
I definitely had preconceived ideas about how this would go.  First of all, I tend to be a bit more "old fashioned" when it comes to dating, if you will.  I personally like to be friends with someone first or meet someone by a chance happening.  I don't necessarily think you'll find what you're looking for if you specifically seek it out when it comes to dating.  I figured joining Tinder would be a complete and total joke (like my dating life has been recently).  I get somewhat nervous when I try to meet potential boyfriends, and I am pretty skeptical.  
I also had a pretty good idea of how Tinder would work.  I figured it would be lots and lots of sketchy guys sending, well... you get the idea.  
Nevertheless, I decided I shouldn't decide I'd "die alone" without checking out my options in 2017.  

Setting it up/getting started:
Did you know you have to link this to your Facebook? My Facebook! Ugh. 
How can I be simultaneously too old and too young for something?  I'm too old for this because I didn't know how to work it at first and I am just plain too young to be doing this.  

MY THOUGHTS A WEEK LATER:
I didn't expect my experience with Tinder to actually be so positive overall.  I think there are definitely some benefits!  First of all, it has been a nice way to talk to people I do not know without getting nervous.  With anxiety, it's hard for me to go and meet new people.  With Tinder, it is so easy!  If things get uncomfortable, guess what? It is so easy to just stop talking to someone, too.  No danger!  
Secondly, while traveling, Tinder has been SO COOL.  I've been able to talk to other travelers and locals, without having to get into any sketchy situations.  I've talked to surfers and people from other countries.  I've made a friend I think I'll actually talk to after I leave here.  All just from what I thought would be a joke of an experience!  
While I have had some of those experiences I expected, I've actually "met" some people I might actually meet in person.  I've mostly had conversations about dogs, and actually have had conversations about what churches in Omaha I should check out when I come back.  

One of the biggest things I've realized however, is how much I don't think I really want to be in a binding relationship right now.  This year, being single has allowed me to move forward in my life however I have felt called to do.  This has allowed me considerable growth.  While I think the next few years will be paved with lots of traveling and change, unless someone is willing to move and grow with me, I am SO HAPPY to be out experiencing the world as my single self.  

While I still don't think finding love will happen on Tinder, I'm actually glad I've gotten it for the purposes I've been using for.  It's always cool to meet new people (and hear cheesy pick-up lines). 

Comments