May 1!

The past two years, May 1st was a big "decision day" for me.  I am so happy it isn't this year.  That being said, I just wanted to say how happy I am about where I am right now, and how that path was for me.

I'm really happy about the "non-traditional" path I have taken.  Having to change your plan is NOT bad - for me, it has been amazing.

Two years ago, I had to decide whether or not I was going to transfer to Arlington or not, which I decided not to, based on classes.  I think either choice would have been fine.  Then, last year, I had to decide what college I wanted to attend this fall.  This decision was quite difficult for me, and I decided right in the last week of April.  I chose Doane University.  I chose to major in Music Education, because I knew it was something I could do.  Throughout high school, I wanted to major in performance, but I didn't think I could do it, so I decided to major in music education and theatre.

Throughout the summer, I realized more and more that I wasn't be called to major in music.  Music had been my whole identity for most of my life.  I kept having the strongest pull towards being a criminal justice major.  This terrified me more than I know how to even put into words.  I really didn't know anything about it.  Out of nowhere, I kept thinking I should be a homicide detective.  I think this was just God's way of pulling me out of my comfort zone.  Just the thought of it was ludicrous.  I've never even shot a gun.  About four days before moving in, I told my mom I thought music education wasn't what I wanted to major in.  However, I started with the major anyhow.

I moved into the dorm, and within 2 weeks, I was moved back home, and enrolled in courses for Metro.  I was planning on transferring to Midland, but I have been lucky to find a great program through UNO that I am now on track for.

Though decision days can be stressful, trusting in God has helped lead me to where I am supposed to be.  Ultimately, my decision of Doane failed, but I think that led me right to where I am now.

I'm so happy in my program.  In Elkhorn, Diane is my professor for my Criminal Justice program classes. Not only am I learning so much every class, we also get to tour facilities in Nebraska. Getting to see these places has taught me a ton! I'm also getting a certificate in Chemical Dependency Counseling.  As of now, I either want to start out as a probation officer, a specialized probation officer in drugs and alcohol, or a drug and alcohol counselor.  I'm excited about getting into the field.  Being able to help others as my job I think is exactly where God wants me to be.  A year ago, I wouldn't have ever guessed this is where I'd be, but I am happier now than I can really ever remember being.

So, happy Decision Day everyone!  Remember, making decisions is tough, but trusting in God, even if He is shoving you from your comfort zone, ultimately leads to happiness.

Comments