The American way isn't the way of Jesus

The American "Way," or the American "Dream" is pounded into our brains from such a young age in this country.  We are meant to built ourselves on our successes, and boast and brag about how well we are doing.  We are supposed to make these great lives for ourselves and our families, with the stars and stripes waving behind us.  Don't get me wrong, this great countries has many positive things about it!  But, the image we are supposed to have of ourselves here is not how we are called to live our lives through Christ.

Our image is not supposed to be based on the outward appearance of our success.  We are not supposed to hold ourselves up on ourselves, being in constant competition with those around us.  The American Dream is the opposite of how Jesus calls us to live our lives.

Today, I was listening to K-Love, and the Sidewalk Prophets' "To Live Is Christ" came on.  The first verse is what made me start to think of this today:

"If I rise, let me rise on You
Not on all my successes
My esteem or my pursuits
If I lose, let me lose my life
Cause if I belong to Jesus
The flesh is crucified."

Our value should come from the love Jesus showed for us.  Not from how far we can climb on the social ladder of success, but from God's everlasting love.  "For me to live is Christ, to die is gain."

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you week me with all your heart."  Jeremiah 29:11-13

God's plan for our lives is the plan that should matter, not the plans that America shows us we should have.  

Comments