First Post

Blogging has always been something I have considered doing, but never actually started.

I want to write about varying topics.  There will be days that I write about current events, Bible passages, a cause, or something I have noticed in the world around me.  Though there will be multiple topics that I cover, everything I write will be something that I care about, something that interests me.

Since I am a college-age student, I will write about some things that relate to that. Since I am a college student not living on a college campus however, everything I write about-everything I am surrounded by-is not college life.  I'll write about much more than just the typical "I live at my college, am surrounded by way too many people, and am completely lost" posts I have read on the Odyssey.  Life after graduating high school is no doubt a confusing time.  Especially if you are one of the people that stop the activities they participated in throughout all of high school.  Lots of what I write about will probably deal with this.  This idea of "identity" and "purpose," something I have found many people struggle with in their lives.  I will write about my ideas, hopes, places I want to see, things I want to see happen, and life around me.

I mostly have just decided to start sharing my writing through the format of a blog to offer help and advice to people around me.  Many times over the past year, I have put up smaller blog/longer Facebook posts about mental health, suicide prevention, and my decision to move home from a dorm and "do college in the non-traditional way."  And each time I have posted something, I've had messages and texts come in from people I know, thanking me for what I have said, or starting a conversation with me about what I had written.

For me, sharing my ideas is just that: a way of starting conversations.  In this age of technology, the art of having conversations has been lost.  It's interesting to me how social media has made my generation so anti-social.  Lately, I have been watching and reading multiple interviews of people who have taken a break from social media, and about the entitlement of my generation.  Many of the things I write will take on this same attitude.  Though I have grown up in this generation, I don't feel like most of those titles encompass who I am.  That is a topic I will definitely write about-how somehow, I am not a "product of my generation," and how that can be both good, and bad.

Thank you in advance to those of you who will read these blogs I will post.  Please, if you feel like starting a conversation with me on these topics, do it!  Conversation and lending a helping hand/listening ear is what this is all about.

Comments